Sunday, December 23, 2012

Wicked head cold!

Hello Sports fans. The Spousal Unit and myself are enduring one of the toughest head cold/fevers in many years. It has been absolutely ugly here with all the coughing sneezing and nose blowing. Completely wrecked our long weekend, oh yes! The last two nights have been unrestful and I hope we have seen the worst go by.

Cruising around the internet, I noticed that the "Immaculate Reception" is being remembered today. Forty years ago, my favorite football team had the Pittsburg Steelers practically beaten. My father and I were cheering on the Raiders and with five seconds to go...





I remember feeling stunned. The camera work back then was not in the same caliber as today, so I felt the Raiders had been ripped off by bad officiating. I still feel that the ball had touched Frenchy Fuqua's shoulder pad making the ball dead, and I didn't need to hear that from the second video.  I sat in the living room watching replay after replay on our brand new Admiral 19 inch color tv! (Man, was that luxury!) finally, just accepting the loss I went outside to play football with my friends down the block. Who were equally shocked about the results. We were some hard core Raider fans, oh yes we were! Hard to believe forty years has passed, I still feel like I'm eleven years old.

There was frost on the lawn when I went out to get the morning paper. Just like forty years ago.

We will continue taking our cold pills and hope to be ready for the Christmas celebration. Mom J Cat has a couple of presents and so does our Cat Sitter Phil. Peking Duck will be the guest of honor at the Christmas Dinner, as it has for the past eight years.





6 comments:

Buck said...

I hope all y'all are better soon. I kinda sorta held my breath all weekend last week while I was in ABQ... several of the family had killer colds. I MAY have dodged that bullet, as it's been a week and nothing has developed.

You watch football on SUNDAY? That's just wrong.

LL said...

I've been sleeping sitting up over the last two nights because of coughing. I feel your pain, brother.

Barco Sin Vela II said...

Buck: "You watch football on SUNDAY? That's just wrong."

Not anymore. After the Raiders moved to LA I dropped football as a watched sport.

LL; Yeah, it's been a bad one. Hope you get well, too.

Buck said...

Merry Christmas to the Barco Crew and all who sail on her!

JihadGene said...

Merry Christmas very LOOONG time to you & yours!!!

Barco Sin Vela II said...

Back at all you nice Patriots!