Friday, May 31, 2013

End of the week, nay--end of the month!

May always seems like a great month that does not want to end. You would think Memorial Day is a great way to wrap up the calendar but there is always a week afterwards to clean up the holiday mess.

I left on a long cruise (1991--USS Deyo, DD-989) two days after Memorial Day and we did not actually leave U.S. waters until June 1st. So our deployment was about seven months vice the usual (back then) six which was quite frustrating.



Time is a funny thing; When you are youngster, with mebbe less than a couple hashmarks on your sleeve, a year takes f o r e v e r to pass. Once you hit forty, a year is four distinct seasons that whiz by at double speed. At fifty, months are mere weeks. I could use a seven month deployment on a Destroyer right now. Because time on the ship is measured in the r i g h t now. I think I understand why the C.O. of the Deyo didn't mind  an extra month underway, or for that matter, the seven months we spent underway the next year doing Counter Drug Ops. To him, it was a mere few weeks of time while to us yung'ins, it was an eternity.

If I was deployed again, I would endeavor to not spend my in port evenings drinking the local beers, so as to wake up clear headed and not so ill from being over served.

I lie, a lot.

Anywhoo, May is finally ending and I have paid all the bills and still have a few centimes left for the next couple weeks. Car insurance is a real burden, believe me.

Next mission is to participate in a "Trader Vic's" party, tomorrow evening. Music, umbrella shaded cocktails, ugly printed shirts? What I do just to get by... Someone has to, right?

Here is a photo I lifted from the local "Social Register" for last years event:

No. We are not in this photo. Example of shirts required for function. BTW, we don't hang out with this crowd, believe you me.


We will do a bit of boating in June, not sure where. It won't be far from home because the heat here in Florida will beat a person into submission after the third week of said month. It's ok, I have some stuff coming up for the first two weeks of July which will keep me out of circulation and I need to be prepared physically and mentally for the challenge.

That means no barley pops or vine ripened juices. We can wait for August, can't we? Hmmm?

Update; She Who Will Be Obeyed told me that I sounded melodramatic about July's events... No, not that big of a deal. Just getting rid of the glasses (Not Lasik) and I am a weenie about anything (like dentists!) that happens medically to include fillings and root canals. Or vision repairs...

1 comment:

Buck said...

When you are youngster, with mebbe less than a couple hashmarks on your sleeve, a year takes f o r e v e r to pass.

It gets worse when you hit yer 60s. Go ahead... ask me how I know. ;-)