Monday, January 19, 2009

Happy MLK Day!

There has to be nothing worse than working for a private business.

Back in the "bad ole days", us military types got every holiday imagineable off!

Nowadays, no such good deal. Gotta be at work (and yes, I am glad to be one of the lucky ones still working) and have to be ready to do for those still needing our office's services. Day after Christmas and New Year?

At the job. So it goes.

The past weekend was kinda cold, so we stayed onboard Barco on Saturday night. We were snug with the heaters doing the heating thing. I was having a final Sierra Nevada, and the Spousal Unit said, "You're done drinking beer today, huh?"

I agreed.

Shocking. I was actually not enthusiastic about wanting more beer.

Getting old before my time. Some days a person will actually run out of beer, but not this time. Beer will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no beer.

http://www.sailjax.com/

Sweetheart USO race is coming up for the NAS Jax Yacht Club, which will be held at the base. We might have to do this race with "White Lightnin'". But only if the weather is warm. I don't care for cold sailing. One does not volunteer for freezing.


You have to bundle up and the fingers never really perform as requested due to numbness. Plus, there is a lack of can-do because you might really want to scrunch up in a corner to save heat.

This is more like it:


Don't do this at home kids, only idiots sail bare-footed. It's a good way to lose toe's and literally your footing on deck. I saw a guy leap onto a dock barefooted, and get a two inch splinter in the big toe. Ruined. His. Entire. Fargin'. Weekend. This guy was about six foot three and an Ordnance Officer in the Navy, and I watched him cry like a little girl in pain from this little mishap. Of course, I'm not going to mention the infection and near loss of said toe a month later. I wear shoes when boating. But the picture is a fun looking one!

Back to cold weather sailing: The problem with cold weather is that the winds really blow hard, in cold weather. Nothing gentle about the back end of a cold front. I think the purpose of cold winds are to keep the dilletente's and poseur's off of the water, and leave them back home in front of the t.v. where they belong.

This is 'She Who will be obeyed' sailing White Lighnin' to victory, awhile back. (Ewe can still buy the sailboat for 6K!)




Have a great week.

2 comments:

Buck said...

Beer will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no beer.

You got THAT right! I still can't quite believe Our Guys are laboring under the oppressive weight of GO#1 in the AOR... SN1 was ecstatic about going to Kuwait before he caught his plane home from the AOR... because there was beer to be had there. This ain't Your Father's Air Force, and I'm glad I did MY time when I did.

Small comfort to you Squids, tho. You guys live(d) an alcohol-free existence while under way. (for the most part, I understand there are certain exceptions) But someone's gotta do it, right?

Barco Sin Vela II said...

That's RIGHT!, Doctor Don...

Makes the beer taste that much better when you are in some far off port.

Just the smell of a Stella gives me memories of headaches in Crete.